Wednesday, September 23, 2015

The Sound of Silence (Fall Equinox 2015)


The Sound of Silence (Fall Equinox 2015) - a reading (on YouTube)


Just over fourteen years ago, I was standing out in our front yard listening. All the planes had been grounded. Even living many miles from a major or even a minor airport, I was struck by how much background noise that normally emanated from the sky had simply disappeared. It became more notable in its absence.

Even traffic on the nearby four-lane roads sounded light. Our house is bracketed by several major roads within half a mile in three directions. The slightest breeze from the east, north or south brings the monotonous low hum of tires treading pavement. Few people were moving around that day if they could avoid it. Like a major holiday, most hunkered down wherever they wanted to be.

Uncertainty tinged the air like a corrosive chemical spill. Like the aftermath of a mass migraine, the shock and numbness of the previous day’s pain had not worn off. Media outlets had exhausted their sources of new information and devolved into increasingly dramatic speculation. Rumors surfaced in real time only to submerge hours later when someone finally did a fact check or sought official confirmation. Video that most of us never wanted to see again played on continuous loop in the background of every broadcast like a traumatic childhood memory we couldn’t get unstuck from our collective consciousness.

Almost everyone I know remembers September 11th. I remember September 12th.

That morning, I had turned off all the receivers. I knew from previous crises that no new news would be forthcoming soon. The professionals were gathering and sorting through information as they prepared for a response. No one knew exactly what would happen next. Events had spiraled well beyond my control.

Still a bit shell-shocked after spending the previous twenty-four hours cataloguing scenarios, I sat with my coffee at the dining room table looking out the front window. A flash of red drew my eyes toward the hibiscus hedge. A cardinal flitted through the foliage, playing hide and seek among the scarlet blossoms. A blue jay soon joined him, sparking a bit of a territorial skirmish.

Then I noticed the scurry of squirrels chasing each other up, down and around the pine tree and across the front lawn. One noshed on a mushroom like an ear of corn in the shadows of the hedgerow. None of these animals either knew or cared what was going on, or what it meant to me. Their lives went on uninterrupted. I drew comfort from the thought.

That’s when I wandered out into the front yard to soak in the silence. I knew I would want to remember that day, that I was unlikely to experience another with the white noise of civilization missing. Where the softer sounds in the symphony of life could finally rise above the diminished noise floor. I found the music that bled through that previously unheard silence reassuring. Our daily anxieties don’t matter in the larger context of life.

Since then, I’ve learned to take solace in silence as a way to regain perspective after a crisis. Or so I thought.

I spent much of this summer shrouded in a different kind of silence, one that felt more judgmental than reassuring. As I’ve said before, silence often has a quality, one I’ve grown accustomed to interpreting.

When people don’t know what to say, they don’t say anything. They quickly adopt a don’t ask, don’t tell policy with anything that makes them uncomfortable, anything they don’t want to think about. They convince themselves they aren’t that close, that anything they have to say would be unwanted. That others will reach out so that they don’t have to. That all you really want is to be alone.

Most times, they are wrong.

After I posted the Summer Solstice message, a profound silence descended. A few people touched base with us as a couple but only a handful with me as an individual. People whose friendships I thought I’d cultivated remained silent. As if to say nothing I’d gone through carried any weight. I knew it was coming. Not the first time. And probably not the last. But rarely have I felt so isolated and alone.

So when record summer downpours unexpectedly cooled the air outside from subtropical to something more temperate, I snuck out on the porch to smoke. Just loaded up my pipe with black Cavendish and sat staring at the green across the ditch, listening to the rain on the metal roof. Watching the odd squirrel take shelter on the gutter spout beneath the eaves. Stroking Nyala or Mara when they curled up beside me. Time slowed to the pace of smoke rings drifting away on the faintest currents.

I didn’t return inside feeling refreshed or rejuvenated so much as if I’d paused my fall farther down the chasm for a few precious moments. My focus was shot, my motivation faltered. Consistent stretches of writing were measured in minutes, not hours, days or weeks.  I spent most of the summer struggling to regain my balance through simulated, secondhand human interactions: watching movies, reading books and playing games. Or just synchronized napping with Nyala who rarely left my side.

I still find I am more easily exhausted, as if I’m recovering from a physical wound. Even now I don’t want to write this. I’d rather crawl back into those entertainments. Not because what I have to say is so difficult. Because saying it feels completely futile. And largely, it will go unread.

Several times over the past three months, I almost stopped writing completely. I came close to tearing down all my sites and walking away from the brand I’ve built. Retreating from revealing my thoughts and experiences to an at best ambivalent audience. Echoing silence with silence.

Most, but not all, of that temptation has passed. Though in all honesty, some days the coin remains in the air. But writing is something I do instinctively, for myself and for Karen. I need to remind myself that everyone else is just along for the ride.

So while the balance between light and darkness has returned to something nearing normal, the intervening silence has likely shaped me in unanticipated ways. In music, the rests define the notes. In writing, empty spaces create the words. In art, it’s best to focus on light or shadow, and avoid the middle values that just muddy up the eye.

But as I learned fourteen years ago, what I do or think doesn’t really matter in a larger context. In the words of Amul Kumar, a professional photographer and friend whose creative instincts I very much admire: “In three words I can sum up everything I know about life: It moves on.”


© 2015 Edward P. Morgan III

4 comments:

  1. --------------------------------
    Notes and asides:
    --------------------------------

    I started Noddfa Imaginings eight years ago in August. I’d been writing posts for each Celtic holiday a full year before that, with posts for the winter solstice and a smattering of other holidays dating back fifteen years. When I created this blog, I subtitled it “Finding a Voice” because that’s what I thought I was doing with the essays. I always saw it as a temporary gig. Fiction was where my heart lay. But somewhere along the way, I became decent at it.

    This past January I had the year mapped out. I had the seeds for eight posts built upon stories of my experiences, stories that seemed to generate the most interest of any of my messages. Imbolc through Beltane went out exactly as planned. That derailed at the Summer Solstice. That post was meant to be for Samhain.

    Life got in the way of making other plans.

    “Darkness” was the most difficult post I’ve written, harder in ways than the Chronicles of Karen. And, trust me, writing those posts was more exhausting than most people will ever know.

    Still, I had a plan. All it required was a little rearranging. A story called “Mayport” about my introduction to life aboard a Navy cruiser my first day aboard ship. A story called “The Sound of Silence” reflecting on the day after 9/11. A story called “Commerce” about the time a man offered to buy my sister from my grandfather in Tangiers based solely on her picture. And finally, a story about my celebrating thirty years of making mead. That was supposed to be the one to follow up “Darkness” on the winter solstice.

    As I sat down last week to construct the Fall Equinox message, I found I could only get so far before something stopped me. This isn’t unusual. I’ve found it means there’s something wrong. Unlike most times, I knew exactly what it was.

    Sharing my thoughts and feelings is not a natural state with me. I learned some very hard lessons from doing just that when I was young. First and foremost, not to talk about the things that have happened to me. Those events make people uncomfortable. When people are uncomfortable, they edge away. Or they use what I’ve said against me.

    Because of my experiences, I’ve become pretty good at reading people and interpreting their actions. With me, it was a survival skill. People don’t believe that when I tell them. Though, they don’t tend to believe a lot of things I say. I guess I just don’t have a trustworthy face. Or my voice sounds like a whiner.

    (continued below)…

    ReplyDelete
  2. (continued from above)…

    At least until I explain the four scars that decorate my forearm, which I very rarely do. Those scars define my life. They define what family means to me. That definition runs contrary to what most people want or expect. Mine is not a lighthearted and entertaining outlook.

    It is, however, truth. My very personal truth.

    Putting those experiences out in public carries a lot of risk. Risk of misunderstanding. Risk of rejection. Risk of the permanency of the internet being used against me in the future. Risk of not being seen. A lot of risk with very little potential reward.

    Naively, I thought that by taking that risk, I would build a readership. That’s what I’d been told you do by people more successful than I’ll ever be. A few years ago, I added readings on YouTube thinking it might help achieve that goal. I think I had other expectations as well, equally unrealistic.

    In the months since the Summer Solstice post, I’ve spent a lot of time thinking, most of it physically and mentally alone. I’ve had a number of psychological shocks in my life to deal with. They have pretty much felt like a constant maze to navigate my way through. This was the first one that took my mind fully offline for more than a couple hours. The first one where even thinking about writing made me physically dizzy. This lasted weeks.

    I would explain more of what I’m thinking and feeling, but at this point I’m not sure that’s what I really want to do. I’ve never been writing for the fame or fortune. If I had, I would have quit a long time ago. If one hundred people read anything I write, it was a remarkable day. If a dozen acknowledge that they had, it was a cause for a champagne celebration.

    I didn’t ask for money. I didn’t clutter it up the site with advertising. I didn’t try to crowdsource financing for copyrights or new equipment so I could. I wrote because I thought it was something I was good at. Because I thought it contributed to the world in at least a slightly meaningful way. Because I thought my voice mattered.

    I think I was wrong.

    I’ve talked to very few people since the Summer Solstice post, and very few people have talked to me. Most have chosen to remain silent. Their silence has a quality. A quality that’s hard to misinterpret. Everyone wants a piece of your happiness. Your pain is yours alone.

    I found a voice. It does not carry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though taken many years after 2001, this picture seemed fitting. We were sitting in the front room about mid-afternoon when I noticed a squirrel in the pine tree out front. My camera was on the table behind me, so I grabbed it and snapped a few shots through the window. I never got out of my seat. I find it fitting that there is a bright blue sky in this shot. It reflects the observation that life moves on, and on Sept 12th the natural world did just that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There seems to be some confusion about the Fall Equinox message.

    It's not about whether my writing gets noticed or commented on. In fact, it's not about my writing at all except tangentially.

    It's about the way people react when someone reveals they are dealing with a crisis, whether physical, mental, emotional or some combination. It's pointing out the truth I see, my personal truth, rather than ignoring it, sweeping it under the Welcome mat and moving on.

    There are three truths at work here, there's her truth, our truth and my truth. Any number of people rallied around to support her, for which I am grateful. I am grateful as well for the people who reached out to us as a couple. I haven't forgotten either set of individuals and can name names if I need to. They heard her truth and our truth.

    As for my truth, very few people heard that. I won't share parts of it around her. Not because she doesn't know them (she does), because it would be awkward and painful for her. It's inappropriate. She couldn't support me through all of this for obvious, and not so obvious reasons. And anyone who thinks my supporting her came for free is out of their freaking mind.

    It's about silence, and what that silence says to the person who hears it, right or wrong.

    Deciding whether to reach out or ignore someone who reveals a crisis or a weakness comes down to evolutionary anthropology. It's us deciding whether to allocate resources to an individual before we know whether they'll survive. In general, people want to be assured of the outcome before they get involved, that their energies won't be misspent. It's a variation on Hindsight bias. It's how we recognize patterns, set memories and ultimately learn.

    Understanding the mechanism doesn't make it any easier to struggle through it when your mind goes offline. Events like this shape me for good or ill. The lessons I learned were stark. Maybe people were right to leave me to my own devices. Maybe that was the only way I would ever come through it. And maybe I learned the wrong lessons.

    So why did I mention that I felt like giving up writing? To demonstrate exactly where I was and how close I came to just giving up, period. How damaged I was by this whole thing.

    Blame it on my poor writing skills or not taking enough to time to craft this message.

    Then again, in the end, each message is about whatever people want to take away from it. Their truth is different than mine.

    ReplyDelete